Day 3: Iron Man 3
Iron Man 3 is a film about redemption. It begins in Switzerland as an earlier version of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) flaunts his billionaire status with playboy fervor. Attending a New Year’s Eve party he whisks a beautiful researcher off to his room and simultaneously blows off and alienates a groupie—. Stark also voiceovers that it was at this time, this specific time in 1999 that his deplorable behavior conjured demons that would later haunt him. Unlike the Charles Dickens prototype of detestable holiday spirit, Stark’s demons aren’t incorporable fantasy’s of guilt, but flesh-and-blood villains he helped shape through arrogance and antipathy. He can’t sleep, he has nightmares…was his work with S.H.I.E.L.D. really the cause for aliens to discover earth, to consider it ready to take war to the next level? Stark is the Tiny Tim of his own nightmares.
Iron Man 3 is more a movie aligned with the reflective Dickens (and a bit of Die Hard) than with any feel-good content streaming on Hallmark or Netflix.
But the film is not without its holiday charms. Stark’s first Iron Man experience comes with a jazzy version of “Jingle Bells” by Bombay Dub Orchestra flits into the chilled air of the prototype lab. Stark has bought himself a new Iron Man suit for Christmas. When the majority of the suite assemblies Stareflectscts, “I’m the best.” But then he get’s knock off his jets and thrown across the lab by a random piece of Iron Man kit.
There is a giant stuffed bunny for Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow), a boy who needs a father figure, some personal catharsis,
Some Christmas moments in Iron Man 3
- To little boy looking for a signature: “I loved you in a Christmas Story.” Who then haunts Stark.
- Nice Channukiah in the lobby of Stark Tower.
- “Merry Christmas” from henchman in the waiting room.
- The well-decorated stately Stark manner.
- The famed Chinese Theater in Hollywood decked out for Christmas before it’s legendary hand and foot impressions get impressed.
- Holiday greeting to the Mandarin: Tony promises revenge.
- Stockings hung on the mantel with care (just before the mantel is dismantled by Aldrich Killian(Guy Pearce)).
- Christmas trees strafed with machine gun fire.
- Tony has a lot of his toys taken away.
- Snow. Fall. (Or for Neil Stephenson fans: Snow. Crash.)
- Town is all decorated out for Christmas.
- Christmas lights adorn the final battle platform.
- Pepper gives Tony a little fantasy moment. She is hot (literally). She is wearing part of Iron Man and a sports bra).
- Tony gives Pepper the clean slate protocol for Christmas: Iron Man drone fireworks.
- Tony gives the kid his own lab…and a Potato Gun Mark II.
“We create our own demons.”
If you love Marvel but want it with a side of candy canes, Christmas lights and stockings, Iron Man 3 is a worthy addition to your holiday watch list.
“So if I were to wrap this up tight with a bow, whatever, I guess I’d say my armor was never a distraction or a hobby. It was a cocoon. And now I’m a changed man…I am Iron Man”